Mr C.S. Mhlongo | Director: Community Services
The main purpose of the department is to provide efficient and effective community services to the residents of Maphumulo Local Municipality.
Community Services aims to provide effective, efficient and sustainable social and community services, and to place Batho Pele Principles at the centre of service delivery.
Waste & Cleansing
To contribute to a clean and healthy environment within the municipal area, through responsible solid waste management practices, recognising solid waste as a useful resource wherever possible. Cleansing and Solid Waste Section provides waste management services within the constituency of the municipality. The Section is committed to a foundation of service excellence and superior customer service.
Waste Management is tailored to meet the needs of each customer to ensure consistent exemplary service.
Services offered by the section include:
- Street cleaning and litter removal services
- Recycling and minimisation of waste
- Management of illegal dumping sites
- Community waste management awareness and education programmes
- Collection and transportation of domestic, commercial and industrial waste
Community Venues & Libraries
Our service points not only loan out books, but also provide access to electronic resources, newspapers, magazines and journals, and programmes in information-retrieval skills, lifelong learning, and storytelling.
Our Libraries also provide a safe space for the communities we serve to study, meet, socialise, learn and read.
- Our mandate is ensuring free access to informational, educational, cultural and recreational resources and services.
- Our passion is encouraging reading for leisure and life-long learning.
- We empower people and communities by providing spaces, connections and resources that enrich lives, inspire discovery, foster creativity and expand possibilities.
Public Safety and Emergency
The Public Safety and Emergency Services Department, working with relevant stakeholders, incorporates an effective, innovative, street-ready approach to safety and security within the municipal area.
We have a formidable force that is dedicated to fighting crime and assisting the community.
- Illegal Hawkers
- Burning of Fires in Public Places
- Begging in Public Places
- Animal Nuisance
- General traffic enforcement including drunk and driving, speeding and all moving offences
- Illegal Parking
- Illegal Blocking of entrance/exits
- Illegal ranking by taxis
- Noise/Nuisance/hooting by taxis
- Abandon and derelict vehicles dumped on the street
- Foot Patrol
- Motorised patrol cars
- Special Events Policing